Custom Software Development: Full-stack vs. Mean Stack
With the continuous increase in the mainstream adoption of technology for businesses, custom software development continues to be one of the most in-demand services in the IT industry. Along with the introduction of advanced technologies for the creation of business application as well as digital transformation – there’s also challenges in choosing the right “tech stack” and methodologies in order to efficiently developing high-level performance apps meeting industry standards.
Specifically, among the new software development trends, many companies nowadays employ full-stack developers who are in-charge of the building the entire application, from front-end to back-end, together with database system management – instead of having separate developers working on different parts of the project development. This allows companies to reduce the hiring costs, at the same time improve the quality of product.
In this article, we take a look in details of full-stack development as well as the emerging MEAN stack solutions, to help companies make the right decision in choosing to technologies to build robust and scalable business applications.
What is a tech-stack?
In its simplest sense, tech-stack is the combination in using different technologies and tools to build software, removing the potential drawbacks encountered when developers using standalone technologies. Let’s examine in details the two most popular stacks, which are: Full-stack and Mean Stack.
Generally speaking, building a custom software application comprises of various components that are inter-connected, ranging from front-end to back-end, and database, together with mobile application as well as others – each component has its peculiar requirements. Not long before, the development approach was to hire individual specialists responsible for creating the separate module. For example, a back-end developer would only be in charge of the back-end component, while front-end developer will work on the front-end part, etc.
As mentioned above, in the present-day, many developers opt to employ full-stack developers who will take on the task of building the application in its entirety. This means that a single full-stack developer must be capable of working many aspects of the application development project, including both front-end, back-end, and database administration.
The particular benefits when employing full-stack developer to work on a development project are as follow:
- A sole full-stack developer working on a project from start-to-finish allows companies to save on the development costs and hiring resources.
- Highly suitable for SMEs looking to build projects of small to medium size that are budget-friendly.
- With fewer developers, project communication is easier and more effectively.
- Full-stack developers can assist in the application design structure and offer input on various level as need be, including maintenance and upgrading of the whole system which is beyond app development.
- Most of full stack developers are experienced in web and app development as they have participated in numerous projects from start to finish. Thus, they’ll be well-equipped to deal with any issues arise during many stages of the project. Moreover, they can help implement long-term solutions for the optimal performance of the application.
- Full-stack developer is more likely to work on multiple projects, switching between from one component to another. As a result, they are more likely to gain flexibility and cross-domain knowledge in working on the app development project.
- And more.
Let’s explore in details each component of the MEAN stack individually, below:
Benefits of using MEAN Stack
One reason that leads many software developers adopting MEAN stack is that it provides many benefits, including:
- MEAN stack applications are scalable and extensible which make them highly suitable for cloud hosting and integration.
- MongoDB is highly embraced due to its scalability in both storage and performance. In particular, developers can easily expand the resources required for the database with just a few clicks. This makes MEAN stack perfect for application with in-frequent spike in activities.
Looking to hire MEAN stack developers for your application development project? Contact us today.
Can't wait to work with us?
Contact our team today and we’ll get back to you within 24hours to discuss your requirement.