Software Development Team: The Top 3 Goals To Achieve
In this article, let's explore some common goals that software development outsourcing teams are usually expected to achieve for long-term success. Generally speaking, based on the commitments in the pre-defined agreements of the outsourcing project, usually, there are 3 main goals expected for every software development outsourcing team:
2) Accomplish all requirements of the project.
In order to illustrate how to achieve such objectives, we will provide a specific example of our software development outsourcing project for a client that is an international company based on the Agile Scrum methodology.
#1. Ensure on-time delivery.
With years of experience, TPP Software believes that there are certain factors for meeting the deadlines of any project, particularly for long-term iterative projects discussed in this article, specifically:
- Consistently keeping track of progress: Burndown charts allow the project manager and client to understand how close the team was to completing the sprint's scope of work. This is used by the team in order to stay focused and provide a more effective daily work planning. Moreover, a team velocity chart that reflects the average workload per iteration is also examined to make a plan of a reasonable workload for future iterations. As the project progresses, such charts become more reliable, for example after 5 iterations.
- Leverage automation. The development team used the DevOps approach to automate the delivery pipeline, in order to accelerate the development and make sure to seamlessly integrate new features with viable working solutions in the future.
Are you looking for ways to achieve your team goals?
At TPP Software, the whole development process can be analyzed and we will help to identify and eliminate any hinders within your process while creating a specific plan that allows your team to grow in a sustainable and efficient way.
#2. Accomplish all requirements of the project.
You can achieve this goal by creating a robust software specification but at the same time, it should also stay flexible enough and be able to adapt to the ever-changing requests during the entire process of project development.
These tips below can be particularly helpful while developing the outsourcing project:
- All the parties involved in the project must have a shared understanding of the software product. In the early stages of the project, meetings were carried out by our business analysts with the attendance of both client's stakeholders and our team to ensure that everyone could work in the same direction while finalizing the key concept of the requirements, in terms of design, and architecture, etc.
- The management process of change requests needs to be provided. Every change request will be treated as a separate proposal and got added to the project roadmap so that change requests could be handled in a timely manner and their effects on the already finished features could be prevented. In these proposals, goals, estimated amount of work, an effect on the project, and an estimation of time will be included. User acceptance tests (UAT) will be conducted by the client-side stakeholders for approval after the development team was done with the implementation of the changes.
#3. Maintain high quality.
Even if you are dealing with stringent deadlines, try to not ignore the quality just to accelerate the software development process and time-to-market. Otherwise, you will end up spending more time on handling technical debt, instead of focusing on quality software development. At the initial stage of the project when the processes are being set up, the advice is to think more about the quality. Take our project's quality safeguard as an example, as below:
- Code quality reviews. By adopting tools for automated reviews during the process, the team's code quality can be measured based on certain metrics. This is considered a part of the development to avoid potential issues resulting from code complexity when it comes to bugs fixing and maintenance in the future.
- Constantly testing. As part of the DevOps approach, there is continuous testing which has been established by our team in order to detect bugs and defects at the early stage, before going into production.
- Adopting Agile culture within the team. Our software development team followed Agile principles which enable us to deliver quality software in a rapidly changing market: Focus on speedy delivery without affecting the quality, have every member of the team share responsibility, have a thorough understanding of the business side, and have regular communication among the team members.
A friendly reminder on software development outsourcing team goals
We believe that project managers need to collaborate with the team and work on a plan together for reaching the final goals with their team members. This can help them gain valuable insights for future project success.
However, it is surely not an easy task to achieve goals when there is a lack of targeted knowledge or urgent deadlines.
As a project manager, do not push your team too hard and overstrain them just to pursue demanding goals, or else it will go wrong. If you are going through this, instead of being worried, you may contemplate using outsourcing as part of your project.
Software development outsourcing is efficient and cost-effective and can help you fill resource gaps and deliver software on time. Our development team will always be glad to assist you on your software development journey. Let us know whenever you are ready.